Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Surprise Friend

I stayed out late after YW tonight talking with a new, but amazing friend. The timing is ironic, to say the least. Surprising, even. But the most surprising thing of all is that we are more similar than we are different.

Let me describe her so you can better understand my last statement. This friend is:

Gorgeous (me, not so much)
Thin (clearly, not me)
Really connects with the YW (have I really been out of high school that long?)
Creative (hmm..do my sad attempts at jewelry-making count?)
A fabulous mom to THREE kids (I limp along with ONE)

So, of course, when I met her I stood in awe of her, the way a high school geek is in awe of the valedictorian cheerleader.

She is also warm, kind, empathetic, and genuinely loves people. Above all that, she is a truly great person. Not just a good person who tries to do good things, but a truly Great person who struggles through the mud of life while doing Great things. And, like most Great people, she doesn't even know it.

So, even though she is so many things I am not, I am so grateful to have found her, ironic timing and all.

5 comments:

Jodad said...

Great friends are precious. As my children have grown up I see them as my adult friends who call me Dad.

Marshall and Alison said...

I take umbrage (too much scrabble) at your view of yourself. You are also kind, empathetic and truly love people. You are gorgeous. You creatively think of ways to teach math concepts and help your students daily. You are a loving and thoughtful mother and sister and friend. All this is true. You have done, do and will do great things. I love you so much just thinking about how great you are. Oh, and I am glad that you connected with someone as wonderful as you.

Stefanie Raynes said...

Both of those comments made me cry a little.

Anonymous said...

I've never done this before. I don't even take the time to read these blogs or play scrabulous (sorry Mel) but nows a good a time as any. Ditto big time to Alison's comment. You are more than what you think you are. Just remember, when you don't, that there are people you love and admire you. I brag about you all the time. You are loved (to quote Josh Groban) by me especially. Thanks for all you are.

Raynmaker said...

That's fun Neasy! Btw, I am in North Carolina right now. About 120 miles from Knoxville, KY! I am excited for you to move because the South is really nice. Love ya Tonzillons! Jon