Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Pre-Nor'Easter Insanity

I went to the grocery store Saturday before the big storm hit. I loathe to go to the store the day before a storm hits -- it looks like the pictures of Florida grocery and hardware stores before a hurricane: devoid of basic staples and practically sold out of everything else. But, Paul had been out of town until late Friday night, so I had no choice. My goal: get to the store before all the bottled water is gone. No, seriously. (Don't worry, I did).

I had an experience I have never had at a grocery store before: Not only did I have to wait in a parking aisle with my blinker on to find a space, but when I left someone started waiting for my spot as I STARTED unloading my groceries into my car. This type of parking nonsense is commonplace at a mall in December in Southern California, but I have never had it happen at a grocery store in New Hampshire.

Inside the store, the insanity continued. I have noticed a few trends in people's shopping carts at times like this: they are usually full of frozen food and beer. Come on, people! If you lose power, you lose the freezer in which to keep the food, and the microwave in which to prepare it!! Hello!!! BUY CANNNED!!!

And the beer? Well, I suppose if people have to stay indoors for a day or so, they think they should get totally wasted. There is more than one way to keep warm, but personally, I'll stick to my emergency propane heater.

2 comments:

Marshall and Alison said...

Your propane heater is not snuggly though. I am glad you got the water you needed. When is the big storm supposed to hit?

Neasy Grace said...

The storm started Saturday night, and kept going until Monday morning. It took a while to dig out! We are now in the midst of the 4th storm in 10 days, but Sunday's storm was the worst :)